Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's Been a Good Weekend

A brief word of thanks for the great weekend, despite the limitations imposed by the weather conditions. As a congregation, we juggled our plans (want to make God laugh... mention your plans). Unlike many other churches, including some south of us, we had electricity, and tolerable road conditions, which allowed many of us to worship together this morning, and to have our concert this afternoon. And I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who gathered today -- there were many more people than I expected.

And, of course, it's good to spend time with family, especially when they've had to travel through winter weather to visit. I'm glad my mom, brother, and my brother's girlfriend were able to make the trip (even if the unexpected cooking yesterday stretched my pantry to the brink).

Many people were involved in making decisions, and doing things to make today possible.
Brooks, Leigh Anne, Nathaniel, and I were able to reschedule the concert (and squeeze in some rehearsal time). The reception that had been planned to follow Saturday's concert morphed into a light lunch between worship and the concert -- many thanks to Linda and Karen for spearheading that, and for all who helped including Cathy and Edna for baking.

Given the compressed schedule, I was pretty busy today. For myself, I wish I had had a bit of time to enjoy being at church, instead of just trying to make sure many of details got taken care of (but sometimes that can't be avoided). I wish I had more time to talk to everyone who was there, but so it goes.

Still, I think it was a really good day. I don't say this in order to take pride in my part of the day -- though I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm mostly pleased with my contributions. Mostly, though, I think it was a good day for us to be together, to worship together, and to celebrate a bit of this Christmas season together. And I'm grateful to have been a part of it.

No comments: