Saturday, July 31, 2010

Coming Up Sunday, August 1

This Sunday, we will enjoy our contemporary worship service, featuring lots of music, spanning from the 8th Century to the 21st Century, from traditional hymns to popular praise music composed in only the last few years. I am excited to experience all of it with you -- it will add an interesting dynamic to worship.

In addition, the day will have personal significance for me. Ten years ago, on the first Sunday in August, I preached my first Sunday morning sermon. A lot has changed in the years since -- as I climbed into the pulpit that day, I never would have imagined becoming a pastor in West Virginia -- or anywhere else, for that matter.

The scripture for Sunday is the same it was ten years ago, John 6, culminating with Jesus words, "I am the bread of life." In some ways, this is one of the most hopeful chapters of John, reminding us of how Christ comes to us in many ways to feed our faith. In other ways, it is a challenging passage, reminding us that all of the answers we think we've found about God may not be the right answers at all. We will explore both of those things on Sunday.

No comments: