Friday, May 11, 2012

Coming Up Sunday, May 13

On Sunday, we will celebrate Mother's Day at Eastgate with a worship service filled with reflections on mothers, including those women of the church who have become surrogate mothers for so many others in the community of faith.  I think that it is an important day to recognize and think about some of the deepest relationships that we form.

During the sermon, I will be reflecting on the story of Rebekah and her sons Esau and Jacob, as told in Genesis 27.  Titled "A Mother's Choice," it will consider the complicated acts of love that mother's often perform on behalf of their children.

So, this weekend, I hope that you will join us for worship.  And I hope you take time to thank God for the mothers -- biological and others -- in your life that have done so much to shape you into the person you have become.  And, if they are living, I hope you make time to reach out to them with love and appreciation.

No comments: