Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September 2 Worship: "In One Spirit, Baptized"

While I cannot put my finger on it exactly, I left worship very energized on Sunday.  Perhaps I was pleased with the sermon, or excited to sing during communion, but I also think that I was moved by the spirit of the congregation on Sunday.  As we approach Fall, I am excited for our shared ministry at Eastgate, and I do not believe I am alone in that excitement.

In many ways, Sunday's sermon was a reflection of my hope and excitement.  It was the first of a 7-part series called "If We Are the Body..." looking at the image of the church as the body of Christ.  Sunday's sermon started where the Apostle Paul begins his presentation of the image in 1 Corinthians -- baptism.  Paul highlights the role of the Holy Spirit in baptism, and I used this to look at the role of the Holy Spirit in the church as demonstrated through our baptisms into Christ's church.  In an age where some are worried about being a "card-carrying member" of a large organization -- and the church is among the largest of organizations -- this imagery can offer direction and hope.

If you missed Sunday's sermon, if you'd like to listen to it again, or if you'd like to share it with someone, you can find an audio recording here.

No comments: