Saturday, October 4, 2008

Coming Up Sunday, October 5

On Sunday we'll begin our year-long emphasis on faith stories -- how we live them out, how we tell them, how we hear them. In October, we'll spend some time considering faith from a first-person perspective, thinking about how someone we know might tell the story of their faith. To personify this, I will present parts of my own faith story as examples during sermons this month.

However, I use myself only as an example, which means that the sermons are not (thankfully) going to be entirely about me. Rather, I'm going to focus on key aspects of personal faith stories -- coming to faith, finding purpose in faith, struggling in faith -- using parts of my story as an example.

This week, the story will be about coming to faith. We'll talk about Sunday School and childhood, about sin and the need for confession, about coming to believe there is a God who is involved in human affairs. I'll warn you: parts of my story are unusual, for better or worse. But as I've come to accept over the years, it's my story, for better or worse.

No comments: