Monday, May 24, 2010

Reflecting on "Lost"

Like many people (about 13 million judging by the Nielsen overnight numbers), I spent Sunday evening watching the series finale of "Lost." I have enjoyed the series for its unique storytelling since its premiere; over time, I have become fascinated by its consistent curiosity about questions of faith and spirituality.

I am still processing the final episode. It was refreshingly unexpected -- it refused to cater to fans' desires for answers, instead providing emotional resolution and closure for many of the main characters.

My friend John (also a pastor) has published his reflection on the finale, which he loved. I highly recommend his thoughtful essay, particularly his comments on the creators' decision to leave so many questions unanswered.

As you know, I enjoy looking for the presence of theology in popular culture, especially television and movies. "Lost" was rich in this regard, a motley assortment of people earnestly seeking meaning (or, as they usually said, "purpose") for their lives, which is a key component of faith development. It also was very perceptive towards religion, recognizing its propensity to be misused by some and the cultural ambivalence with which it is viewed by many today. (The way that the characters tolerated, but mostly ignored, one character's attempt to build a church on their island, even as they lovingly supported the character, is but one example of the shows sophisticated and insightful approach to issues of faith.) I am sad there will be no new episodes to ponder, but I'm grateful for DVDs, which will allow this series to be considered and discussed in the years ahead.

No comments: