Friday, February 10, 2012

Coming Up on Sunday, February 12

On Sunday, we will celebrate Lincoln Sunday.  In the first half of the 20th Century, this was a common tradition, recognizing the legacy of President Abraham Lincoln.  Given that I am an unabashed Lincoln student, it is a tradition that I want to participate in, even as it fades into history.  The service will feature a special Lincoln sermon, period music (including "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"), some liturgy from churches of the time, and readings from the King James Version of the Bible.

The special sermon is entitled "The World Knows That We Know: Abraham Lincoln's 1862 Message to Congress."  Coinciding with the on-going 150th anniversary of the Civil War, we will look at the central issue that Lincoln faced 150 years ago -- whether to free the slaves or not.  The context of this decision will be compared with the context of Joshua's farewell discourse to the Hebrews in the Promised Land, in which he spoke of faithfulness to God.  Together, I think that these things illuminate the central challenge that American congregations, included Eastgate, face today.

I look forward to Lincoln Sunday each year.  Some of my traditions are a little silly: I will be wearing a Lincoln tie and the sermon will be printed on Lincoln stationery.  But the truth is deeper: the sermons are challenging to preach because they involve themes that lie on the growing edges of my faith.  This year's theme -- leadership -- is no different.  I hope that I'll see you on Sunday for this special service.

No comments: