Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 18 Worship: "Unfed Hunger: The Curse of the Fig Tree"

On Sunday, we continued our Lenten journey, worshipping on a bright spring morning (on the last Sunday before Spring).  We continued our "Curses" sermon series by considering Jesus' cursing of the fig tree, just before he cleanses the Temple.  In "Unfed Hunger: The Curse of the Fig Tree," we considered how Jesus expects us to not only be faithful, but to be fruitful through our faith.  Next Sunday, we turn our attention fully to the story of Christ's passion.

The first two sermons I preached in seminary were on this story of Jesus' cursing the fig tree, which I find fascinating and compelling.  Also, given Jesus directive to his disciples, after they notice the cursed fig tree has withered a day later, is to "Have faith," I can't help but think there is a vital lesson for our faith in this enigmatic event.  As I continue to grow in my faith, I continue to wrestle with this story, trying to understand what that poor fig tree ever did to Jesus.  For now, it remains a mystery (at least to me).

If you missed Sunday's sermon, if you'd like to listen to it again, or if you'd like to share it with others, you can listen to an audio recording here.

No comments: