Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 17 Worship: "Looking Back, with Fear"

While working on tomorrow's weekly email update, I realized that I had not finished uploading my sermon online.  I began earlier in the week, got interrupted, and then completely forgot about it -- I guess that's the danger of any routine.  So I apologize for the delay.

On Sunday, we entered into Lent by following the Hebrews into the wilderness, even as they were chased by the Egyptians.  With the Egyptian army closing in from behind, and the Red Sea ahead of them, many of the Israelites became afraid, and they rationalized why they should never have left slavery in Egypt.  In "Looking Back, with Fear," we considered how we sometimes become afraid in our faith, as our discipleship demands new things of us -- sometimes we imagine how much better it would be if we just stayed ignorant sinners.  A wider perspective shows such attitudes to be rather ridiculous, but it is a trap we often fall into.

If you missed Sunday's sermon, if you'd like to listen to it again, or if you'd like to share it with others, you can find an audio recording here.

No comments: