Monday, April 7, 2008

Springtime in Cyberspace (aka New Things for the Blog)

As the season continues to brighten (what a lovely day today has been), I have made a couple of changes to my blog.

First, I have begun posting audio files of my sermons along the side of the page. You may listen to them simply by scrolling to the desired sermon and clicking on it. By clicking on the sermon link, you will open a streaming audio file (into a media player of your choice, probably Windows Media Player) that will play as it downloads. If you prefer to download the audio file for later use (or to transfer it to an .mp3 player), you should click elsewhere in the box, which will open another page from which you may simply download the entire audio file in .mp3 format. Be forewarned, these files are large (several megabytes) and take a while to download.

This is an exciting resource. If for some unfortunate reason you have to miss a worship service, you can still listen to the sermon later that week. Of course, this should not be an excuse to miss church.

Second, I have created RSS feeds for the sermons and the blog as a whole, which means that you may subscribe to the feeds and get automatic notices when there are new updates. This is a time-saving option for those who want to read the blog but don't want either to have to remember to check the blog or don't want to check the blog unless there's been a new post. To subscribe to the sermon RSS feed, you can click the RSS icon and follow the instructions. Personally, I recommend either MyYahoo! or Google Reader to manage your RSS feeds.

If all of this confuses you (and some of it confuses me), you may join me after service on Sunday, April 13 for a "blog tutorial," where I will answer any and all questions about how to use the blog, including posting comments and subscribing to RSS feeds, and demonstrate these things on my computer.

3 comments:

Roger D. Curry said...

I'm idly curious this evening, Friend Josh - Which is harder to explain fully, RSS feeds or the Book of Ezekiel? I'm scoring it a tie.

Electronically faithful,
Roger-the-Heretic

Ryan Kurczak said...

Great stuff Josh. Jim Norton sent me your sermon. I can see why he enjoys your work so much...its nice and heavy.

How did you post your sermon? I've got some talks I'd like to post online as you have done.

Joshua Patty said...

Ryan,

I posted the sermons in a podcast form, using Blogger and some sets of instructions I found on the Net. The page I found most helpful was:
http://www.digitalpodcast.com/podcastnews/2006/05/19/five-steps-to-free-podcasting/
Josh