Wednesday, August 5, 2009

General Assembly Wrap-Up

Owing to some Internet connection issues and some long days, I was unable to post entries the final days of the Assembly. Still, I'd like to make a few more observations.

Overall, the Assembly was a great gathering. Others suggested that it was very different from previous Assemblies, with a very different (and shorter) schedule, and a much different feel. On one of the Disciples email list-servs to which I belong, there has been quite a bit of discussion about the style of preaching over the four evening worship services -- evidently it too was different.

From my perspective, I thought there was a huge effort to be inclusive of the broad diversity of Disciples, including (but not limited to) our theological diversity, our racial diversity, our age diversity, our aesthetic diversity (particularly in music), and our cultural diversity. The music was surprisingly varied, although it frequently sounded the same because it was performed by the same musicians (which meant that older hymns felt a bit like more recent praise music).

On the other hand, the schedule was very busy, and the business sessions were far too long (and often unnecessarily so -- if you've submitted a written report, maybe highlight a couple of things and then just take questions, but report after report featured extensive comments). Mostly, this was because each session was filled with things other than business -- lengthy Bible study/reflections, 30 minute lectures on Disciples history (I'm not making that up). These could be nice touches to remind people of the reason for the business, but they took FAR too long. Much more successful were the small touches by Rev. Ayanna Johnson, outgoing 1st Vice Moderator, who offered a pastoral and human presence in the business meetings, particularly in her prayers. (I went to school with Ayanna, and I was thrilled to see her brilliantly fill a tough position -- and thrilled to see someone under 30 serving in a major and visible leadership role in the church.)

The business sessions achieved very little, from my perspective, as far as our congregation is concerned. The new ministry guidelines were passed, despite objections from many (including a region that said they would be virtually impossible for them to implement). Certain procedural things were worked out, including plans for the 2013 Assembly. Perhaps the resolution on transparency will allow more visibility of the General Board and its activities -- time will tell. Perhaps the resolution declaring that we are a Global Mission Church will have positive effects felt throughout the church -- right now, I see most of the tangible effects in the regional churches. The other resolutions, offering solidarity with one group or another, will likely affect nothing. But I'm sure people felt good about themselves when they voted for them.

The preaching at the Assembly was an interesting mix of things. I enjoyed the opportunity to hear all of the preachers, though the best sermons I heard during the week were not in evening worship. I had the opportunity to hear Fred Craddock preach at a downtown Indianapolis church Sunday morning; despite his age, he still had a message to share in his inimitable gentle way. And while I did not appreciate all of the add-on stuff in the business sessions, the Bible Study (really sermon) on Saturday morning from Jose Morales was phenomenal; I purchased a DVD to share with the congregation sometime this fall.

I got to catch up with friends from around our church, to hear about their current ministries and activities and to share ours. I met some new people and learned a few things. I spent some time (whenever I could catch a few minutes) in prayerful contemplation of our future -- why I had to go to Indianapolis to hear God speaking about some things I don't know, but God spoke there just the same.

No comments: