Friday, March 28, 2008

Coming Up Sunday, March 30

On Sunday, we will continue our Easter season worship with a rather relaxed service. In the upcoming weeks, I will focus on the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus which are described in Matthew. This week, I thought we would reflect on Easter without the trumpets, the bustle, and all of the rest. (Not that I mind such things, but they are occasional.)

The resurrection looks different in the quietness after Easter morning and becomes the generally quiet center of our individual faith. I think that this quality of the resurrection was best captured by Handel in his masterpiece oratorio Messiah, in which he follows the joy and majesty of the resurrection (the "Hallelujah" chorus) with a gorgeous lyrical reflection of the event sung by the soprano soloist ("I Know That My Redeemer Liveth").

We will hear that solo on Sunday morning (no, I'm not singing it, though I know I have been mistaken for a soprano soloist), and we will reflect on its scriptural source, Job 19:21-27. And in this I hope we will enjoy the beauty and the sustaining comfort of the resurrection.

1 comment:

Roger D. Curry said...

Let me get this straight, Josh - after celebrating the Resurrection in such a meaningful fashion, you actually want your parishoners to put our faith into ACTION, and FOLLOW UP??? Wow, and they call ME a heretic!

Bud, you're doing a good job, and this is a VERY interesting ride.

Joining you at the stake,
R