Monday, March 24, 2008

Reflections on Holy Week 2008

On Sunday, I received a number of comments about how meaningful this celebration of Holy Week has been at Central Christian. I am pleased to hear it. There was a lot of preparation for the week's activities, and it is gratifying to hear that the planning led to some moving experiences.

For my part, I thought that Holy Week went very well. I was surprised by how quickly behind I got in my work during the week (which means I have some extra work to catch up on this week), and I was surprised by how physically draining I found the experience, even as I found it spiritually exciting and meaningful.

I was greatly moved by the Maundy Thursday service. In some ways this is normal, as I generally respond powerfully to that service from year to year. But it seemed particularly moving, and I entered into my planned silence for prayer and meditation willingly and naturally. I have heard that others too kept silence for some time that night, so I don't think I was alone in this reaction.

The service on Good Friday was simple and meaningful and was a good example of how we should live our faith. We were blessed with seven excellent meditations on Jesus' statements from the cross and the overall meaning of the crucifixion. They were all similarly sincere and faithful, and they were all different, which is a description of any healthy congregation in a nutshell -- guided by the same spirit, but filled with individuals who bring different experiences and perspectives to the table. And the breadth of scripture and emotions that we shared through those seven reflections warmed my heart, even as I was saddened in the shadow of the cross.

The Easter Vigil was longer than I expected -- I had hoped we would finish within two hours, but it lasted about 2 hours and 15 minutes. (Some have commented that it was a great service, except it was too long. I understand -- it is a long service for everyone, myself included.) But I thought it was a beautiful vigil, full of life and hope, as we used the teachings across the ages to contextualize both the meaning of the resurrection and our place as Christians in the on-going story of God's love for the world and involvement in the world.

Easter Sunday was a joyous day, brightened by the sunshine the smiling faces of so many present. The breakfast seemed to perfectly capture that spirit, which lasted throughout the morning. I am glad that so many enjoyed the Easter play -- I enjoyed it too, especially seeing Jan working on all of the sound effects (and doing an excellent job). And worship was joyful and bright, even with a perhaps heavier than expected sermon.

I would like to offer thanks to the congregation for their support of these services (attendance was better than expected, which was exciting). And there are some other people who deserve great praise:
  • If I was busy during the services, Brooks was even busier. The music was an essential part of these services, and Brooks showed his great versatility and faithfulness, not only in his presence, but in all of the expertise he offered in planning. He selected much of the music, all of which was not only appropriate for these services, but some of which was quite special.
  • Willa and the choir did a yeoman's job all week, with extra rehearsals to prepare for so much music. On Saturday alone, they sang four prepared anthems, in addition to leading much of the service music and responsive psalms.
  • Cathy and the worship committee worked hard to plan the week's activities and prepare for the logistics of Holy Week. They organized all of the scripture readers, all of the logistics of the Easter breakfast, and the preparation of the sanctuary for the services. Special thanks to Gary, George, and Randy for their ladder expertise in hanging the curtain used to shroud the cross.
  • All of the readers and those who offered meditations and prayers during the services. Listening on Saturday night, I was struck by the realization of how prepared and gifted our scripture readers were -- how much knowledge and emotion that put into their readings. If Scripture can ever be boring (that's an interesting theological question), it is most likely when someone reads aloud in a monotone, stumbling over the words and phrases. That was never even remotely a problem. And the meditations, as I mentioned above, were all first-rate.
I believe that it was a great week for Central Christian, a week of excitement, a week of reflection, a week of service, and a week of growth.

2 comments:

Roger D. Curry said...

Friend Josh, this whole spiritual journey thing is a wild ride - I'm looking forward to hanging onto the tiger and learning from the ground up from you, and the rest of the church community.
This Holy Week was the first in many years (OK, approximately since birth) that was this meaningful and rich.
R

Anonymous said...

Josh:
Despite Jan's continual reminders to me and her obvious appreciation for the blog, this marks my first visit, and, therefore, my first foray into commentary.
While you have carefully and quite rightly noted the many and varied contributions of others, it falls upon us - who benefitted so mightily from your efforts - to draw due attention to your sprititual leadership through this Holy Week. I suspect that part of your charge from the Search Committe was to "shake us up" a bit, to re-energize our faith life. The energy and comittment you displayed, ignited and sustained by an intense spirituality, played a powerful role in moving us forward, farther along our faith journey. Many people were involved and participated, both adults and youth. Yes, it was time consuming, it was hard work, but what of any value is achieved without time and hard work? I see what you - and we - accomplished this week as a building block for your future ministry with us. It rests solid upon the foundation handcrafted by your predecessors, most recently our great friend Jim whose transitional ministry was such a blessing. But it serves not as a ceiling, but rather as the ground floor upon which the upper rooms will be built. As a "growing church" we need to continually "build" upon each experience, one brick at a time. God gave us Holy Week 2008 - it is now up to use that gift to fulfill his promise and be the "growing church" we can be in this community.
Thank you for all you have done, and for all you will do.

Eddie.