Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reflections on Worship, March 16

I hope that many found the Palm Sunday service on Sunday a moving and thought-provoking introduction to this Holy Week. I certainly have heard many positive comments about the service, both on Sunday and since.

Perhaps the music of the day has eclipsed anything that was spoken during the service. This does not hurt my feelings (and not just because I was involved in some ways with both). Sometimes music offers a more direct reflection of the emotions of the day. This is partially why I choose to sing "Via Dolorosa" on Palm Sunday each year -- it much more accurately reflects my location on the pilgrim's journey than any "Hosanna" or even the great "Ride On, King Jesus."

4 comments:

JC said...

Roger and I were moved by your emotional rendition of "Via Dolorosa." It was truly inspirational. Janet

Joshua Patty said...

Many thanks for sharing your reaction. I'm glad to hear it was inspirational.

Roger D. Curry said...

Yo Josh - The Via Dolorosa was positively spooky (that's a good thing in my world). I found a .wav file of it on the net, and if I were smart enough, I'd be able to post a link of that here. (Note to those even more computer illiterate than I - a .wav file is an audio file.) Is someone else smart enough to figure out how to do that? I'm not. I also posted the lyrics on my blogs.

Like Paul said (as you have taught), we all bring something different to the table, and all can learn -- your music is powerful teaching.

Roger-the-Heretic

Roger D. Curry said...

This web address will bring up a .wav file for Via Dolorosa.

http://members.aol.com/journeywithsue/Page24.html