Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The When of Prayer: Bedtime

Praying just before you go to sleep is a good way to wind down at the end of the day. Taking a few moments to breathe and reflect on your day with God, rather than rushing to jump in bed, is both a pleasant way to end the day but a good opportunity to unburden yourself before you try to sleep.

The impetus to pray before sleeping stems from an ancient fear: people prayed to God before bed because they were afraid they would not wake up. In fact, this is preserved in the famous "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer. "If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

Today we usually worry less about death when we go to bed than about restless nights and alarm clocks. So we can pray not out of fear, but with gratitude for the day's opportunities, seeking comfort for our heartaches and headaches, forgiveness for our mistakes, and encouragement for the next day.

Today's Prayer Prompt: Share something that is bothering you with God at bedtime tonight and allow your prayer to ease your burden.

No comments: