Friday, March 13, 2009

The When of Prayer: Before Travel

I was on a plane once sitting next to a teenage girl who was visibly terrified of flying. During the entire flight, which lasted a little over an hour, she clutched a set of rosary beads and prayed. I felt terrible for her, but also knew there was little I could do for her; I remember that I prayed that God would comfort her anxiety.

Traveling is often nerve-wracking, even if we're not terrified of the mode of transportation. We can run into unexpected problems -- road construction, flight delays, bad weather, lost hotel reservations. We can forget to pack certain things. We can get lost.

It is appropriate to pray for ourselves when we travel -- and for others when they travel. We pray for a comfortable and safe trip. We pray that our purposes for traveling -- business, family need, vacation -- are fulfilled. We pray for God's guidance, so that we do not get lost. And when we feel anxious or scared about what might happen, we pray for God's comfort and grace.

Today's Prayer Prompt: Before you start the car today, or before you leave the driveway if you're not driving, say a prayer for God's protection and God's guidance on your trip.

2 comments:

Roger D. Curry said...

What are we praying for? Divine intercession over actions of others corresponding with our presence? That we maintain attention and skill, and that we use good judgment? I am honestly wondering if our prayers are "proper" for things that we can control, but don't. "Oh, Lord, I'll have a couple of drinks before I hit the road, but keep me out of trouble."?

R

Joshua Patty said...

Sure, we're praying for good judgment and awareness. But I suppose we're also praying for no equipment failures, no bad weather, no bad directions.

I suppose divine intercession over the actions of others is good too. But isn't it more important that we "go with God"?