Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Where of Prayer: In the Car

Unless something goes terribly wrong, most people have no impulse to pray in the car. When the tires lose traction, or air, or the engine sputters, or overheats, we may pray; otherwise, we're generally busy setting the air, fiddling with the radio, putting on our makeup, making phone calls, reading our to-do list, looking through our purse, drinking our coffee, telling the kids to be quiet, arguing with our spouse... to even think about prayer (or driving, for that matter).

Finding a quiet moment to pray in the car is a good way to connect with God amidst the busyness of the day. And the prayers don't need to focus only on the car travel. This is a good time to pray for people you meet during the day, to pray for encouragement, to pray for patience.

It is even possible to pray while you're driving, though it is important to learn how to pray with your eyes open before trying such prayer. Travel is sometimes the only unstructured time we have during the day, which makes it a key opportunity for God to reach out to us and speak with us, if we're open to the possibility.

Today's Prayer Prompt: Each time you get in a car today, take a few moments to pray.

1 comment:

Roger D. Curry said...

Here is where I am way ahead of you. For some reason, I inspire nearly all of my passengers to begin to pray sincerely for deliverance when they ride with me. I hope that this means that I am doing God's work, but I'm not sure how I'm doing it.

Reverently,
R